Celebrating the 4th of July is always a great time. It’s the middle of the summer, and it’s hot, hot, hot outside. Sparklers are sparkling, poppers are popping, good food is being prepared, family and friends are having a blast, and of course, fireworks are lighting up the sky!
Being me, I like to focus on the food. It’s just not a party unless delicious food and drinks are being served. For this occasion, red, white and blue is on the menu! Berry Red, White & Blueberry Fruit Salsa with Star Shaped Cinnamon Sugar Chips.
Patriotic colors will comprise my whole menu and, of course, decor is themed around this day as well. One of my favorite snacks to make, share and devour is Berry Red, White and Blueberry Salsa with Star Shaped Cinnamon Sugar Chips. It’s festive and gone within minutes. Just the chips by themselves are amazingly addicting. Crunchy cinnamon, sugar flour tortilla chips complement the salsa to a T. They’re star chips!!! And so much fun being shaped! Such a refreshing treat that people can munch on before or after dinner, and a sweet take on the traditional savory chips and salsa.
This fun salsa is so perfectly sweet and tangy at the same time. I tailored the colors to reflect the 4th of July. Red for the berries, blue for the blueberries and apple for the white. Although when all is said and done the red jam slightly over powers, but it does taste like 4th of July in your mouth. Just an explosion of flavors. Seriously, seriously addicting. Make sure you prepare enough!
Texturally, the apple gives it a bit of much needed crunch while the berries impart so much flavor. Add a bit of jam which gives it the perfect viscosity and a bit of binding that the fruit needs to clump up and stick to your chip!
This recipe is totally customizable though. Swap out fruits or add your favorites. Occasionally I like to add pineapple or orange for a pop of citrus flavor. I made it this way for a wedding shower and also shaped the chips into cute little hearts. It was nothing but delicious. When the chips are shaped, it makes eating that much more fun!
Making this Salsa
Start by slicing your apples into cubes. Green apples are what I prefer. They’re tart and extra crunchy. Peel and chop them up into smaller cubes, around an 1/8 of an inch. Place into a bowl and toss with a bit of lemon juice. This keeps then from browning and adds a bit of sour tartness to each and every bite.
Next, add sliced and diced strawberries, about the same size as the apples you previously cut. Then throw in raspberries and blueberries. I do like to cut these in half too. Toss gently together and add the jam. Toss together gently, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Time to make the chips!
Making the Cinnamon Sugar Star Chips
First, find a star cookie cutter. Next, place 2-3 tortillas on top of each other and cut out stars. Try and do them as close as you can together to minimize waste.
Line them up on a parchment lined sheet pan one tortilla deep. Brush with butter and sprinkle liberally with cinnamon and sugar. Flip over and repeat. Place into 350 oven for about 7minutes, flip stars over and bake another 7 minutes until golden brown and crunchy!
As an alternative, which is how I crisped them up, is to fry the tortilla. Fry them in 350 degree oil until golden brown. About 2 minutes. Remove from oil and immediately toss in cinnamon sugar. I chose this way, it’s quicker and so delicious!
If you don’t have a star cutter, cut out any shape you’d like or simply cut into equal triangles. No matter the shape, they still taste amazing.
Place into large bowl, unwrap your salsa and get snacking! Enjoy!
Berry Red, White & Blueberry Salsa
A sweet and tart blend of fruits and jam to make the most delicious fruit salsa.
- 2 Each Granny Smith Apples
- 1 Pint Strawberries
- 1 Pint Blueberries
- 1/2 Pint Raspberries
- 1/4 Cup Raspberry or strawberry jam
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
1. Peel and chop the Granny Smith apples into about 1/8 inch thick cubes. Place into a large bowl and toss with lemon juice.
2. Slice strawberries into cubes about the same size as the apples. Place into bowl with apples.
3. Slice the blueberries in half as well as the raspberries. Put into the bowl and toss gently all together.
4. Add the jam and mix until incorporated.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to eat. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Sugar Star Tortilla Chips
Crunchy cinnamon sugary tortilla chips shaped like stars.
- 8 10” Flour tortillas
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Butter Melted / Optional
- 1 Cup Oil For frying (optional)
1. Stack 2-3 tortillas on top of each other and cut out star shapes. Cut as close together as possible to minimize waste.
2. Place one tortilla thick on a parchment lined sheet pan. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Flip over and brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
3. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. Take out of the oven and flip tortillas over. Bake another 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
4. Place into bowl.
5. Or fry the chips. Place oil into small sauce pot and heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a few stars at a time into the oil and fry for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Immediately place into bowl of cinnamon sugar and toss until coated evenly.
7. Place into bowl and enjoy. Pair with fruit salsa for a delicious appetizer or dessert. Enjoy!
Happy 4th of July!
1,715 total views, 1 views today