There’s just nothing better than cinnamon rolls (I might add, loaded with icing)…anytime of the day! Especially when they’re homemade and fresh! These are splendidly sweet with just the right amount of cinnamon and sugar all swirled up into a fluffy bread dough. As if that’s not enough, these ooey gooey treats are topped with a generous dollop or drizzle of icing. The sweeter the better! You just can’t go wrong!
It’s the holiday season!!! Parties are in full swing, guests arrive, neighbors and friends need gifts and of course, Christmas morning breakfast. All these occasions are the perfect reason to make these delightful cinnamon rolls. Why not make a few batches to share? They certainly can be made ahead of time. Make the dough and place into the refrigerator over night and bake the next morning or whip up a batch all in the same day. They freeze well too. And the beauty of this recipe is that you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen right now!
Make any size, although mini ones (I most prefer!) are great for this particular season. They are so poppable with no utensils or plates necessary. Great for company and guests, brunch or parties too. Finger food at its best! All the sweet cinnamon goodness is crammed in one little bite although eating just one is just not possible.
Although bite size cinnamon cuties are fun, this recipe makes great large cinnamon rolls as well. Any way you choose, they’re great!
So come on, let’s get baking!
To make the dough, add all of the ingredients into a stand mixer bowl. Mix on low to get the ingredients incorporated into a ball. Once that’s achieved, knead on speed 2 for about 5 minutes with the dough hook. Remove bowl and immediately cover in plastic wrap. Let it rest on the counter for 30 minutes to an hour until the dough doubles in size.
Next, punch the dough and deflate it. Place onto a floured surface and begin to roll out flat. Try to keep it in a shape of a rectangle as much as possible. Roll it about 1/4 inch thick. Cut the edges to clean up the rectangle and cover in filling leaving about 1/4 inch uncovered on one long side. Brush this portion with a bit of water. This will adhere the cinnamon roll together and keep it from falling apart while baking. If you’re making minis, cut the rectangle into three equal mini rectangles. Going the long way. Spread each with cinnamon sugar.
In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter. Then add the brown sugar, salt, vanilla, cornstarch. Stir together well.
Once the filling is spread and even, start rolling it up!
Next cut into equal portions and place onto baking sheet. I prefer them to touch; it gives them a softer texture, but feel free to bake each individually as well. I just find they get a bit crunchy and caramelize on the bottoms.
Let them rise for another 30-40 minutes. Then, bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20-30 minutes or until golden brown, a little longer for larger cinnamon rolls.
While baking, make the icing. Make a simple powdered sugar and water glaze or go fancy and make a cream cheese icing. They both taste amazing.
Once the cinnamon rolls are done baking, take out of the oven and immediately ice. This makes the icing melt and creates the ooey gooey delicious texture and flavor a cinnamon roll should have! Lastly, enjoy!!!
Prepare dough as normal, but when rolled out, roll out to 1/8 of an inch. Then cut into three equal rectangles, long way. Spread the filling over each and then slice and bake. They’re the cutest little cinnamon rolls!
A sweet cinnamon center all wrapped up in a fluffy bread dough topped with a generous amount of icing.
- 1 Cup Milk Warm
- 1 Packet Dry Yeast
- 3 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 Each Egg
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 Tbsp Butter Melted
- 3 1/4 Cups All purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Butter Unsalted
- 1 Cup Brown sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 Oz. Cream Cheese
- 4 Oz. Butter Unsalted
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Pound Powdered Sugar
1. In mixing bowl attached with bread hook add milk, yeast, sugar, salt, egg and butter.
2. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
3. Add flour and mix until a ball forms. The dough will pull away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Cover with plastic wrap, place on counter and let double in size. This will take 30 min- 45 min.
5. Punch down the dough and place on a floured surface.
6. Roll out into a rectangle shape and about 1/4 inch thick. Trim edges a bit to clean up the rectangle.
7. Spread entire dough evenly with cinnamon sugar filling (method of preparation follows) leaving a 1/4 inch lip on the long side. Brush with water so it will adhere to the dough when completely rolled up. This will keep the cinnamon roll from falling apart when cutting and baking.
1. Melt butter and add brown sugar, salt, cornstarch and vanilla together. Mix well.
8. Cut into equal portion sizes and place into a greased baking dish.
10. Let them rise for another 30-45 minutes on the counter.
11. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown.
12. Immediately ice with cream cheese icing or glaze of your choice and enjoy.
1. Combine cream cheese and butter. Cream together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until fully incorporated. Use immediately.
Look no further for more great breakfast recipes!
Have fun baking & Happy Holidays!
Sugar! Yes, please!
1,882 total views, 1 views today