This light lemon poppyseed cake is light, airy and fluffy.
1. I’m mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time and incorporate into sugar mixture completely.
3. Add vanilla and milk. Incorporate well.
4. Add poppyseeds, baking powder and cake flour. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
5. Set this batter aside. In a separate bowl add egg whites and second amount of sugar. Whip until medium peaks form.
6. Fold into cake batter. Put in a third into the batter and fold in completely. Add the second third and fold in well. Then add the rest and fold into the batter. Make sure to be gentle to avoid deflating the egg whites. While folding in egg whites, add lemon zest.
7. Portion out into 4 6” cake pans or 3 8” cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool and decorate! Enjoy!